top of page

    3074 Malaspina Promenade

savaryheritage

1 min read

May 29

19

0

                                          

 

1912 Anderson house with Alice Townley in the foreground


The first house on the property was built in 1912 by Louis Anderson who had originally arrived on Savary as a logger. He was the second non-indigenous person to live on the island, the first being John Green (Green's Point). This was the second Savary house Louis had built, as he needed more space for his wife Irene (nee Palmer) and their growing family of five children — Pearl, Terry, Ruby, Jim and Sylvia. He had sold his first house to Captain George and Kate Ashworth, a home now owned by Sherwood Inglis, which remains today as the oldest house on the island. 


In 1916 the house burned to the ground and a second house was quickly constructed. The new building style was described as a “California Rancher” or “Bungalow”. The Andersons also built a long, narrow boathouse on the foreshore in front of the cottage which remained until 1970. It was used for children’s art classes and as a clubhouse for teenagers in the 1960s. 


1916 Anderson house


In 1929 the second owner was Robert James Cromie with his wife Bernadette and children Grace Ann, Robert, Donald, Sam and Peter.


In 1950 the third owners were Ralph and Betty Farris.


In 1978, after the death of Ralph and Betty Farris, ownership was transferred to their children, Gretchen, Wendy and Jennifer.


In 1980 Gretchen Farris Creery purchased the home from her sisters, Wendy and Jennifer.


In 2019, Gretchen's daughter Melissa Moseley purchased the home from her mother, Gretchen Farris Creery. Melissa, her husband Bruce Bruk and son James Acres are restoring and updating this lovely home and garden.

savaryheritage

1 min read

May 29

19

0

bottom of page