top of page

2950 Malaspina Promenade

savaryheritage

2 min read

May 27

15

0

 

This iconic yellow stucco-clad home at the foot of the Savary wharf was built in 1924 by Ashton and Maud Spilsbury and their son Jim.


The Spilsburys had moved from Whonnock to Savary in 1914, staying first in the Herchmer house and then tenting in the vicinity of Blair Road, located at the bottom of Wharf Hill. They were among the earliest full-time residents of Savary and their early life is well described in Jim Spilsbury’s book, Spilsbury’s Coast, which includes photographs of the tents where they lived for ten years.


They purchased the two front lots from their good friend Ethel Burpee and built their comfortable, substantial home. The property included a large rear section where they kept goats and other animals. Jim famously operated his ham radio from a back bedroom of the house, and a large antenna was visible for many years.


Phyllis Landale purchased the property in 1947, and with her husband Alec established the Savary Inn which they operated from 1948 to 1950. The Landales built a number of small sleeping cabins to augment the accommodations available in the main building. The property behind had a grass badminton court and a wooden dance floor. After being run as an inn for two years, the house was then rented, with the Landales and their son Edwin (Conde) living in outbuildings on the back property.


Phyllis and Alec Landale in front of their home showing the Savary Inn sign. 

 

Bill and Sandra (nee Baxter) Clarke became owners in 1959 and enjoyed summers with their three children — Alan, Hillary and John. The main floor was reconfigured from several small  bedrooms to a more open plan, family home. The large lawn saw many Savary Island Property Owners Association fundraisers, fancy dress parades and even Sunday church services.


Fancy Dress Parade

 Sandra continued stewardship, enjoying summers at her special place with her children and grandchildren, until her death in 2019.  


savaryheritage

2 min read

May 27

15

0

bottom of page